Monday, December 13, 2010

Christmas Cookie Recipe Share - Gigi's No-Bake Cookies

This one is my absolute FAVORITE to make anytime of year, but I try & confine myself to the holidays because, well, otherwise I'd be eating them every day. :)  Everyone makes no-bake cookies, I know, but I assure you that my mom's (aka - Gigi) are THE BEST, hands-down.

Gigi's No-Bake Cookies

2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa*
1/2 c. milk
1 stick margarine
1/2 c. peanut butter*
3 c. oats
1 tsp. vanilla extract*

  1. Mix sugar, cocoa, milk & margarine in a large saucepan.  (Don't turn the heat on just yet).
  2. Pre-measure your oats and peanut butter so they're ready for use after your boiled mixture is finished. Keep your teaspoon & vanilla extract close by these ingredients (and a hot pad to set your saucepan on, that's helpful).
  3. Spread your wax paper out on a dry surface next to your pre-measured ingredients.
  4. Turn on the stove!  Stir your sugar/cocoa/milk/margarine mixture continuously over heat until it comes to a rolling boil.
  5. Allow this mixture to boil for one full minute.  This step is important for ensuring that your cookies actually harden - trust me, I've learned the hard way.  I find it helpful to set the timer on my microwave for 1:00 prior to starting the stove.
  6. Remove from heat and quickly add peanut butter, oats, and vanilla extract.  
  7. Stir until all ingredients are mixed and drop quickly onto waxed paper.
*For a more peanut-buttery variation on this recipe, add only 1 tbsp. cocoa and just a touch of extra peanut butter.  You can also add just an extra drop of vanilla extract for added yumminess.  These were a happy accident of mine, but we loved them enough to eat 'em all right up!

1 comment: