Thursday, December 23, 2010

Glass pedestals- blogged by Les

These glass pedestals are super easy to make! All supplies can be found at Hobby Lobby for a minmal expense, but I did this last year, so I can't remember exact prices.

You will need:
3 round wooden discs for the bases
3 unfinished wooden candlesticks of varying height (two of mine are actually the same height)
3 unfinished wooden finials
3 glass canisters with the silver screw on lids. (they really are pretty inexpensive)
twine
black paint (or whatever color you want)
hot glue
gorilla glue


First, paint all wooden pieces and the lid of the jars black.

Let dry (ugh. I HATE waiting. I am the most impatient crafter EVER)

Then, glue candlesticks to the middle of the round base discs with Gorilla Glue (this stuff is awesome, but does need some time to dry. ugh.)
Let dry.
While you're waiting on the glue to dry, use your twine and hotglue, and wrap around the lids.
After the twine is glued, use the Gorilla Glue to glue the finials to the top of the lids.
Let dry.

After pedestals are dry, you will need to glue the glass to the candle stick. This was the hard
est part for me. It took longer than I wanted to dry, and I wasn't sure the glue was working or it was enough glue so I added more, and then it all gooped up when it finally did dry, but since it was underneath, I just painted over it with black paint (told you I was impatient).

After EVERYTHING is dry, put it together and fill with whatever you want!
Now, if you want to be like me, just get some moss (from Hobby Lobby), put it in the bottom as a base. Then, cut out JOY in red cardstock, spray glue adhesive to the letters and cover with glitter, dump glitter, then spray adhesive over the glitter and dump glitter on it again. (I like things sparkly)
Merry Christmas!
Leslie


2 comments: